Artboard Copy 9.jpg

Studyportals | Research Methods

A tool which helps UX designers select the most suitable research method in each situation.


During the second year of my bachelor, I did a 20-week internship at Studyportals, an Eindhoven-based company which provides an online education choice platform.


Create a solution to help the UX team at Studyportals decide which methods to use for which kind of research case, to get inspiration and verification.


This was a side project which I carried out on my own, under the supervision of my mentors. Since the end users were my colleagues from the UX team, I included them frequently —for brainstorming, testing sessions or whenever I needed any kind of feedback— in my project.

Desk research

I started this project doing desk research, meaning reading a lot of UX research books and articles that my mentor and some coworkers suggested. 


Once I had enough knowledge, I started editing and completing a Word document about a selection of research methods. I got feedback and iterated on it a total of 4 times.

The content of this Word document would be the content of the tool.

this is the word document.png

The Word document I worked on.

User research

To empathise with my users, I conducted five short interviews with the objective to:

• Find out users’ opinion on the content of the Word document.

• Understand how users wanted the visualisation.

• Obtain suggestions from users and use these as inspiration.


I opted for interviewing my colleagues because it seemed the fastest way to empathise with them and also because I could clarify ambiguities with follow-up questions right away.


From the interviews, I was able to define the requirements for the visualisation:


• Have a categorisation that enables filtering the methods. 

• Follow the company’s brand style.

• Be aesthetically pleasing. 

• Have as little text as possible. 

• Be interactive.

• Be an easy-to-update tool. 

• Have an overview that helps comparing the methods.


Once I had clarity on my users’ needs and requirements, I started ideating.


For the ideation, I decided to do individual brainstorming, since this is a technique that always gave me good results, and I felt comfortable using it. After a discussion with a colleague, out of 12 ideas obtained during the brainstorming sessions, I selected 5.  


To choose a final idea, I arranged a meeting to have a discussion with my colleagues, followed by a sticky-note voting session, which was the most convenient convergent method for my users. The ideas regarding classic filtering or tags were the most appealing for my users. In the end, I decided to use classic filtering, because is the same system used in Studyportals’ website, and I wanted my tool to be as similar as possible to it.

Results of the sticky-note voting session.



I decided to start prototyping the tool using Sublime and my (very basic) programming skills, to deliver a working product. You can see the initial prototype here. However, as my limited programming skills were narrowing my design capabilities, I eventually decided to continue prototyping in Sketch. 


Prior to creating the icons for the research methods, I asked the UX designers which mental picture came to their minds when they thought about the different methods.

users mental pictures.png

Users’ mental pictures for each method.


To test my prototype, I showed my colleagues the different versions for the visualisation and let them interact with it. I took their feedback and discussed which and how to integrate it in the tool.

Final deliverable

©2021 by Mercedes Mendaza.