Artboard Copy 10.jpg

Briliant Glasses | HCI Technologies 

A pair of smart sunglasses which work by the use of Arduino Software.

CONTEXT

This project was the result of the course “HCI Technologies”, one of the subjects of the second year of my bachelor’s studies in User Experience Design at THUAS. 

CHALLENGE

During 9 days, together with 4 classmates, I worked to create a smart wearable —a pair of Briliant sunglasses— through multiple sprints, using the Scrum framework.

ROLE

I contributed equally in a team of 5 UX Design students in all the phases of the design process.

Day 1

During the first day, our team started by researching the existing types of wearables.

 

After that, each of us brainstormed to come up with ideas on which wearable to build, then we presented our ideas to the rest of the group and finally, each voted for its three favourite ideas. 

The winning idea was a fan which would turn on based on the temperature. We tried to measure temperature with Arduino's temperature sensor, but we struggled with this. We didn't manage to make the temperature sensor work and since we got unmotivated about this idea, we decided to explore options for the second winning idea: a pair of smart sunglasses.

Day 2

The second day we kept on exploring with the different Arduino sensors, such as the proximity sensor (Sonar) and building different LED circuits.

 

We also created sunglasses out of paper, where we added a servomotor which lifts the lenses from the sunglasses on command. Then we added a light sensor to the glasses, so that the lenses would be raised or cover the eyes depending on the amount of light.

Day 3

The third day we started working with real sunglasses (instead of the paper prototype).

 

We had difficulties engineering the glasses, specifically placing the servomotor and the light sensor on the glasses in a way that the lenses were still able to go up and down.

 

On the other hand, our team was rewarded for being the group with the greatest progress and we were asked to present our sunglasses to the other 200 students.

Day 4

That day we worked on incorporating buttons to the sunglasses. We added three buttons: one to raise the lenses, one to lower them, and one for the 'automatic' mode (based on the light sensor). 

 

The rest of the day, we worked on listing all the supplies needed for our final product and ordering them online.

Day 5

The fifth day was about moving all the wires to a smaller breadboard and trying to switch Arduino Uno for the Arduino mini, making the product less bulky.

 

I also worked on improving the aesthetics of the glasses, to make them look more original and cool. Doing some research, I found about the NeoPixel Rings, which after a discussion, the team decided to incorporate to our product.

Day 6

On this day we received the supplies ordered on day 4. Among the supplies were the final flip-up glasses. We worked on connecting the servo to these.

We tried different ways to make the glasses look less bulky with the servo, but they didn't work, so in the end we attached the servo on a side of the frames.

 

I also worked on the branding for the glasses. We named our product "Briliant" (inspired on the Dutch word "bril" which translates to glasses) and we designed a logo.

Day 7

On the seventh day, we adhered the lenses, servo and NeoPixel Rings to the glasses permanently.

 

We also worked on connecting our Arduino board using the WiFi setup, because we wanted to be able to control the glasses through our smartphones (with HTTP widgets).

 

In addition, we studied alternatives for the NeoPixel Rings and in the end we decided to make them slowly change color in a rainbow pattern. 

Day 8

On day 8 we worked on making the automatic mode (based on the light sensor) work through the HTTP widget.

 

After that, we made the wires neat and soldered everything. Then we connected the NeoPixel Rings using a second Arduino board, which we connected to the WiFi on another web address. 

 

We were officially done with the sunglasses!

Day 9

Day 9 was the expo day. We had already finished our product, so we were more relaxed than most of the groups who hadn't finished at the time. However, we needed to prepare our expo stand to catch the attention of visitors.

Making-of Video

©2021 by Mercedes Mendaza.